Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Vicente Flat 3.) The Hike Back

      After we filled up on Oatmeal, we started for the journey back out of the canyon and to the truck. It was good exercise trekking two miles back up hill to say the least; in fact, Michael ended up carrying his 20 pound dog Lulu most of the way.


Once we were out of the canyon and on the trail we took a short rest and we were on our slightly downhill trail all the way back to the truck. Here are some of the rest of the bugs we saw:


Unknown Fly (Robber Fly?) I submitted this one to Bugguide in hopes of getting down to the genus.

Nemognatha scutellaris (LeConte) (Coleoptera: Meloidae)

Bombus bifarius Cresson (Hymenoptera: Apidae)

As we were driving home, Michael noticed a tick in the back of my arm. Because of the inconvenient spot, I asked Sam to photograph it before he would kindly yank it out.

Sneaky little devil

This was not the only surprise; a couple days after the trip my left arm started breaking out in hives. Turns out I must have brushed through the notorious poison oak when beating for leaf beetles and night collecting for ground-dwellers. Oh well, the hives are gone now and the tick bite has almost healed.

Poison Oak (Toxicodendron diversilobum)


In just a couple hours I will be hiking the high Sierra Nevada. It will take until Saturday to complete this hike so I am hoping to get some good photographs for good future blogging. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment